Skip to main content

Emmaus Lutheran Church (Saint Louis, Missouri) Records

 Record Group
Identifier: Collection ID-1222

Scope and Contents

The collection contains the congregational minutes. There are also three church record books that contain the following:

Book 1 - Baptisms, Confirmations, Marriages, Deaths - all 1895-1921 Book 2 - Baptisms, Marriages, Confirmations all 1922-1960; Deaths 1927-1960 Book 3 - Baptisms, 1961-2016; Marriages, Confirmations, Deaths - all 1961-2015 A DVD with all of Emmaus' electronic church records is included as well. The digital records are also stored on the CHI server.
Scope and Contents A copy of the timeline for the Saint Louis City Mission is included with these materials. In 1944, the Clinton-Peabody Terrace Mission Sunday School and congregation formed serving African-Americans. The name was changed in 1945 to Peace Lutheran Church, and in 1948, Peace merged with Brauer Memorial, and kept the name Brauer Memorial. This collection contains Peace's church record book that includes: Baptisms 1944-1947; Confirmations 1945-1946; Marriages 1947; Burials 1945. In 1969, the timeline indicates that Brauer Memorial Chapel and Good Shepherd Chapel became independent churches in the Missouri District. In 1974, The Lutheran Annual refers to Brauer Memorial as Holy Comforter. The Practical Church Record Book for Holy Comforter includes Baptisms 1969-1980; Marriages 1968-1976; Burials 1969-1980. There is also a folder that contains loose itms that were found in this church record book. CHI's past and present congregational database indicates that Holy Comforter closed in 1983. Therefore, since Emmaus was in possession of their church record book, perhaps the members then went to Emmaus which closed around 2016.

Dates

  • 1894 - 2016

Language of Materials

English and German

Biographical / Historical

Trinity Lutheran Church established the Jefferson Avenue Mission in 1889. This was housed in a two-story, two-room building. The building was dedicated on November 10, 1889. Emmaus Lutheran School began one week earlier. Rev. Richard Kretzschmar began work at Emmaus in 1891. The church was organized in 1892 and joined the synod in 1894. The first worship service of the newly organized congregation was held on Sunday evening, October 14, 1894. On May 27, 1896, the tornado that ripped its way across the southeastern part of Saint Louis unroofed the school building and destroyed the new western addition, which had just been completed the year before. Many church members lost their homes, and one member was killed. The congregation resolved unanimously to restore the damaged building and rebuild the addition. Trinity had been completely destroyed, so Emmaus' members pledged more than $3,000 to help in Trinity's restorations. The site of the present building was purchased in 1900. The cornerstone of the building was laid on September 22, 1901. The building was dedicated on April 20, 1902. In 1922, it was decided to build a school, Sunday School, and parish building. The cornerstone was laid on July 19, 1925, and the building was dedicated on February 7, 1926. A fire which started in the roof of the church on March 7, 1926, caused a lot of damage. For the next 14 weeks, the congregation worshipped in the school building. The renovations were completed and the building was rededicated on June 20, 1926. Pastor Kretzschmar served the congregation for forty-nine years until his death in 1940. On February 9, 1942, the parsonage was destroyed by fire. All the members of the pastor's family escaped without injury. The subsequent parsonage was located off-site, so the lot next to the church was cleared and sodded. The church building was updated and redecorated for the 75th anniversary in 1964.

Extent

1.26 Linear Feet (One 5" document box; one flat box; three loose church record books)

Physical Location

1.15.2.5
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia Historical Institute Repository

Contact:
804 Seminary Place
Saint Louis MO 63105 USA
314-505-7935