Saint John Lutheran Church (Tyler, North Dakota) Records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of official acts from 1877-1984; family and membership records in the enclosed 3 x 5 card file box, a green binder, and flash cards; 50th anniversary album, congregational meeting minutes from 1903-1986; Walther League Records from 1926-1930; Ladies' Aid Meeting Minutes from 1903-195; history in German; By-Laws in English; Abstract in English.
- 1877 - 1986
The first missionary, Rev. Johann Krueger of Elizabeth, Minnesota, held services in the John Tribke home from 1879-1880. Then Rev. Robert Koehler, who was serving Trinity, Great Bend, held services from 1881-1885. In 1886 Rev. Tietje Hinck of Trinity, Great Bend served Summit Township. In 1887, the Tyler people had planned to build a church of their own, but poor crops forced them to abandon their plans. The majority of the people joined Trinity, Great Bend from 1888-1903. In 1903, people decided to organize a congregation and build a church. The congregation was organized on May 4, 1903 with the adoption and signing of a constitution. The church building was built and then dedicated in December 1903. In 1904 the schoolhouse was built, but for a variety of reasons, a parochial school could not be kept in operation in this congregation. In 1912, the congregation became part of Immanuel, Wahpeton. In 1922, Saint John decided to become self-supporting and call their own pastor. English services were introduced in 1927. The congregation joined the LCMS that same year. The congregation celebrated its 25th anniversary in April 1928. All German services were dropped in 1943. The 50th anniversary was celebrated on October 18, 1953. Saint John was divided from First English in 1959. In 1963 the church building was moved on to a new concrete foundation next to the old site. On July 8, 1966, the congregation became a dual parish with Trinity, Great Bend. The congregation celebrated their 70th anniversary on September 23, 1973, and the 75th anniversary in 1978. The congregation closed in 1985.
1 Linear Feet (One cubic foot box; one 3 in x 5 in card file box (inside cubic foot box))
Language of Materials
- Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod. North Dakota District (Organization)
- Language of description
- Script of description