Skip to main content

Bethel Lutheran Church (Chicago, Illinois) Records

 Record Group
Identifier: Collection ID-0468

Scope and Contents

Kirchenbuch
  • Baptisms 1894-1923
  • Confirmations 1895-1920
  • Marriages 1898-1934
  • Deaths 1894-1934
Church Record Book
  • Baptisms 1935-1963
  • Confirmations 1935-1963
  • Marriages 1935-1963
  • Deaths 1935-1963
Parish Register
  • Baptisms 1964-1988
  • Confirmations 1964-1987
  • Marriages 1964-1987
  • Funerals 1964-1988
Parish Register
  • Baptisms 1989-2002
  • Confirmations 1989-2001
  • Marriages 1989-2004
  • Funerals 1989-2008
  • Historical Information
  • Annual Reports 1964-1997
  • School-Graduation Folders 1967-1999, Faculty Handbook, Faculty LIsting 1891-2006
  • Constitutions and By-Laws
  • Schopol Board Meeting Minutes 1930-1959
  • Church Council Meeting Minutes 1932-1962, 1977-2009
  • Voters' Meeting Minutes 1902-1979, 2000-2009

Dates

  • 1894 - 2009

Biographical / Historical

In 1891, Rev. Martin Fuelling began mission work in the area by conducting services and starting the school. Bethel Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized on June 22, 1894. The first church building was constructed in 1896. Due to growth, the second church building was constructed in 1910, dedicated on May 14, 1911. The first Sunday School class was held in 1926, and the first eighth grade graduation from the school occurred in June, 1928. The school building was dedicated in September 1928. In 1941, interior renovations were made to the building, and in 1949, the church organ was refurbished. A service of Thanksgiving was held on May 26, 1946 for returned veterans of World War II. More than 125 members served in the Armed Forces, and four were killed. The church building was renovated again in 1958, and the school building was renovated in 1963. The closing service was held on October 26, 2008.

Extent

2.43 Linear Feet (Two cubic foot boxes; one 5" document box; four Church Record Books)

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

A.9.12.6

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia Historical Institute Repository

Contact:
804 Seminary Place
Saint Louis MO 63105 USA
314-505-7935