Redeemer Evangelical Lutheran Church (New Orleans, Louisiana)
Scope and Contents
hHis collection includes the worship folder from the final service, legal paperwork from the closing of the congregation, as well as pictures from the sale of the property.
- Majority of material found within 1997 - 1999
Biographical / Historical
The first service of Redeemer was held on January 12, 1919, at a private home. Land was purchased, and groundbreaking took place on October 17, 1920. The congregation was able to worship in the structure for Thanksgiving that year. The finished church building was dedicated on December 5, 1920. In 1922, the congregation numbered 200 memvers, and the Sunday School had over 100 pupils. The church was renovated and enlarged in 1932. A parsonage was purchased in 1944. A new. larger facility was needed, so groundbreaking occurred for the new church building on January 8, 1950, with cornerstone-laying on April 23, 1950. The new church was dedicated on November 26, 1950. The first in a series of fourteen stained glass windows was dedicated on June 14, 1953. The Savior is the subject matter of each window. The mortgage-burning took place on April 20, 1958. A pipe organ was purchased, and the dedication recital took place on March 27, 1960. In September 1965, Hurricane Betsy caused extensive water damage to Redeemer and the organ. Thankfully, insurance covered the repairs. The final service of the congregation was held on November 2, 1997.
Language of Materials
18.104.22.168-Louisiana-New Orleans Community Box
- Language of description
- Script of description