Skip to main content

Saint John Evangelical Lutheran Church (Brackenridge, Pennsylvania) Records

 Record Group
Identifier: Collection ID-0656

Scope and Contents

This collection contains membership information in the forms of bound book #1 Baptisms 1908-1910; Confirmations 1909-1910; Marriages 1908-1910; Deaths 1908-1910 - this book is in Slovak. There are also cards and membership lists. Unfortunately, this is not a parish record book beyond 1910. There are file folder with Baptisms 1908, 1938, 1953-1992; Marriage Licenses from 1912-2006; Funerals 1953-2005. Transfer documents both in and out of the congregation are present as well. There is information on the history of the congregation, dedication of the 1959 building, 75th anniversary, photos of pastors,confirmation classes, groundbreaking and the 1959 building, Constitutions and By-Laws, Council Meeting Minutes 1964-1988, 1994-2015; Financials from 1952-2015 (bound book #4-quarterly financials 1953-1964), Voters' Meeting Minutes bound book #2 1905-1/1949 in Slovak and 4/1949-7/1959 in English, bound book #3 Voters' Meeting Minutes from 10/1959-5/1992; a file folder of Voters' Meeting Minutes sporadically from 1953-2014. Bound Book #5-#12 contain Altar Guild Meeting Minutes(the church's Ladies' Guild?) from 1925-1968 in Slovak as well as 1946-1996 in English. There are two seals from the congregation, one in Slovak, the other in English.

Dates

  • 1908 - 2015

Biographical / Historical

This congregation was originally founded in West Tarentum, Pennsylvania by Slovak Lutherans who immigrated and settled in that area beginning around 1890. They originally met in homes. As this group grew, they needed a church building for their services, so they began to use facilities of existing churches. In 1903, Rev. Andrew Olsavsky from Charleroi, Pennsylvania came when he could. On April 18, 1905 the group decided to organize as a congregation. One of their first official acts was to join the Slovak Evangelaical Lutheran Church. One of the priorities of the congregation was to buy property and build a church building. The first church building was completed in September 1906 in Tarentum. In 1909, Rev. Ludovit Karlovsky became their first called pastor. During the early years, everything was done in the Slovak language. In 1923, a Sunday School was organized. In 1946, the congregation realized their future was in the English language. By 1952 attendance was greater at the English service than the Slovak service. The congregation outgrew the original church building by 1954. A parcel of land was purchased in Brackenridge. Construction began in 1958. The cornerstone was laid that fall, and the building was dedicated in September 1959. The congregation became debt-free in 1972. At the beginning of the 1970s, the congregation became part of the LCMS. The congregation closed in 2016.

List of Pastors

  • Rev. Ludovit Karlovsky 1909-1910
  • Rev. Robert Schnirch 1911-1912
  • Rev. Joseph Kolarik 1912-1921
  • Rev. John M. Marcis 1921-1946
  • Rev. John D. Kovac 1948-1952
  • Rev. Jaroslav J. Vajda 1953-1963
  • Rev. George Dolak 1963-circa 1980
  • Do not have the names after 1980

Extent

3 Linear Feet (Three cubic foot boxes)

Language of Materials

Slovak

English

Physical Location

5.11.3.4 - boxes 1 and 2; 5.11.4.4 - box 3
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia Historical Institute Repository

Contact:
804 Seminary Place
Saint Louis MO 63105 USA
314-505-7935