Skip to main content

Frankenmuth, Michigan Historical Collection

 Collection
Identifier: M-0025

Scope and Contents

The Frankenmuth Historical Association donated this collection to Concordia Historical Institute in 1983. It includes an array of photocopied letters (1840-1920) of early residents of Frankenmuth, Michigan, as well as an assortment of transcribed letters from Friedrich August Craemer (1812-1891), the founder of the mission colony in Frankenmuth. There are various church registers, bylaws, and congregational records, mainly from Saint Lorenz Lutheran Church. The photographs available are a variety from the 100th anniversary parade and pageant in 1948. There is also a short biography of Pastor Karl August Wilhelm Roebbelen (1817-1866), the second pastor of Saint Lorenz Lutheran Church, and an essay by him.
Scope and Contents
Folder List
  • f1. Biographical Information (F. A. Craemer)
  • f2. Church By-laws (Frankenmuth)
  • f3. Church Records (Frankenmuth)
  • f4. Church Register (Rosstal, Germany)
  • f5. Correspondence (various)
  • f6. Correspondence (Craemer)
  • f7. Correspondence (undated)
  • f8. "First Abode" Restoration
  • f9. General Information
  • f10. Life Story of K. A. W. Roebbelen
  • f11. Photographs
  • f12. Vacancy Diploma (May 1, 1887)
  • f13. "What do you think about Pastor Loehe?" by Roebbelen

Dates

  • 1840 - 1948

Biographical / Historical

When Pastor F. C. D. Wyneken pleaded during his 1841 visit to Germany about the lack of Lutheran pastors in America, Pastor Wilhelm Loehe from Neuendettelsau, Bavaria, immediately became interested and developed a plan to start mission work in Michigan. His special attention was given to the Native Americans located in the Saginaw Valley. In June 1845 fifteen emigrants, mainly from the area of Rosstal, Franconia, landed in the "jungle" fifteen miles southeast of Saginaw, Michigan. Friedrich August Craemer, at the time a candidate of theology, was selected by Loehe to become the pastor of the mission colony, which was called Frankenmuth in honor of the region in Germany from which they originated. On Christmas Day 1846, only one and a half years after the arrival of the Franconians, their first church was dedicated - Saint Lorenz Lutheran Church.

Extent

.42 Linear Feet (One 5" legal box;)

Language of Materials

German

Physical Location

A-02.2.6
Title
Frankenmuth, Michigan Historical Collection
Status
Completed
Author
Brigitte H. Conkling
Date
September 1999
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia Historical Institute Repository

Contact:
804 Seminary Place
Saint Louis MO 63105 USA
314-505-7935