Peace Lutheran Church (Hecla, South Dakota) Records
Identifier: Collection ID-0072
Scope and Contents
The folder contains a Fiftieth Anniversary booklet (1889-1939); information from the Sixtieth Anniversary; Seventy-Fifth Anniversary booklet (1889-1964); Centennial Anniversary booklet (1889-1989); Closing Worship Order of Service April 26, 2014; 1982 Church Directory which contains Saint John Lutheran Church, Hecla and Peace Lutheran Church, Hecla
- Majority of material found within 1939 - 2014
Biographical / Historical
Peace Lutheran Church was organized on October 13, 1889 when the constitution was adopted and signed. In the early years, services were held in a schoolhouse named Herther school. On May 28, 1901 the first foundation stone was laid, and the first church building was dedicated on July 14, 1901. On July 22, 1912 the church building was completely destroyed by a tornado. A new and larger building was built and dedicated on June 22, 1913. In the 1930s, it was voted to have English services every Sunday and an additional German service every other Sunday. Not long after this, German services were discontinued. The congregation's 50th anniversary was celebrated on October 1, 1939. In 1959 Peace voted to join the sister congregation of Columbia. The congregation purchased the church building vacated by Saint Mark American Lutheran Church in 1963. The Peace building was moved to the new site and attached to this building. The parsonage was sold and moved. Only the cemetery remains at the original location of the church building and a sign was added in 1983. Women suffrage was granted in 1971. Leonard and Mildred Herther, active members of Peace, served as Agriculture Missionaries in New Guinea from 1971-1974. The first joint Thanksgiving service was held on November 21, 1973 with Peace, Saint John, Hecla; Saint Paul Lutheran of Frederick; and the Savo Lutheran Church. As of 1989 this service continued with each congregation taking a turn hosting the service. The constitution was revised and updated in 1982. In 1984 an addition to the parish hall was constructed. The congregation closed on April 26, 2014.
List of pastors
The list of pastors from 1889-1989 is found in the Centennial booklet found in this folder.
1 Folders (One folder in South Dakota Community Box)
Language of Materials
South Dakota Community Box 18.104.22.168
- Language of description
- Script of description