Christ Lutheran Church (Fairfield, Illinois) Records
Scope and Contents
The bound church record book contains Baptisms 1946-1982; Confirmations 1947-1964; Marriages 1949-1980; Deaths 1951-1982. After that time period, there is sparse information in folders contained in the 2" document box. The document box also contains history, few meeting minutes from the 1950s and 1960s, pastoral correspondence and documents, further information on the life of the congregation through its closing in 2014, Articles of Incorporation and blueprints.
- 1946 - 2014
Biographical / Historical
The congregation of Christ Lutheran Church began in February 1946. Rev. Wm. Timm of Flora canvassed Fairfield, and the first services were held in the Community Center in June 1946. Properties for both a church building and parsonage were purchased in 1946. In 1953, due to inadequacy of it, recommendations were made to sell and rebuild. THe congregation then returned to the Community Center. Groundbreaking took place on August 29, 1954, and the cornerstone was laid on November 14, 1954. The first service was held in the basement of the church that Christmas Eve. The first service in the sanctuary took place on February 13, 1955. The dedication was held on March 6, 1955. The 25TH Anniversary and Bell Dedication were held on March 9, 1980. In 1982, Christ became a dual parish with Hope, Mount Carmel, Illinois. Closing Christ was considered in 1989-1990, but the congregation remained open, and changed their name to Christ Our Savior Lutheran Church. The congregation did close on March 30, 2014.
0.21 Linear Feet (One 2" document box; one record book)
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description