Skip to main content

Calvary Lutheran Church (Flint, Michigan) Records

 Record Group
Identifier: OCT-2018-13d

Scope and Contents

Folder 1 - Officers and Boards Past and Present 1932-1992; Folder 2 - Directories 1984, 1986, 1990; Folder 3 - Tranasfers Out 1978-2015 and Membership Cards; Book 1 - Bound copy of Constitution
The Practical Church Record Book (bound book #2) Baptisms 1931-1987; Adult Baptisms 1932-1987; Confirmations 1932-1987; Marriages 1931-1987; Losses 1953-1987; Deaths 1931-1987
Parish Register (bound book #3) Baptisms 1987-2015; Adult Baptisms 1966-1976; Confirmations 1988-1991; Adult Confirmations 1988-2012; Marriages 1988-2006; Funerals 1988-2015

Dates

  • 1931 - 2015

Biographical / Historical

In 1930, the churches of Flint decided there was a need for a Lutheran church on the east side of Flint. After a survey of the area was conducted by Rev. Martin Kretzman, pastor of Redeemer Lutheran Church, a mission was begun in a temporary building. In December 1931, an organizational meeting was held and Calvary Lutheran Church was adopted, along with a constitution. A lot was purchased for a church building in March 1932, and construction began in October 1933. The building was completed in July 1935, and a service of dedication took place on July 28, 1935. The church building was then expanded. Calvary Lutheran School was begun in 1940 and then closed in 1969 due to increased cost of operation and decreasing support for the program of the school. In 1958, the church building was remodeled. Ground breaking for a new church building and school was on August 14, 1966. The cornerstone was laid on December 3, 1976, woth dedication held on October 27, 1968. Calvary closed on September 15, 2015.

List of Pastors

Rev. Osborn J. Reeb 1931-1952; Rev. Martin J. Schliebe 1952-1965; Rev. John A. Boerger 1965-?(at least 1981), Rev. Walter W. Snyder (at least 1984?-?

Extent

0.167 Linear Feet (One (1) 2" document box, two (2) church record books)

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

1.12.3.5
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia Historical Institute Repository

Contact:
804 Seminary Place
Saint Louis MO 63105 USA
314-505-7935