Immanuel Lutheran Church (Stirum, North Dakota) Records
Identifier: Collection ID-0901
Scope and Contents
Two bound record books, containing congregational minutes from 1932-1955 and 1956-1975 respectively; one folder containing congregational minutes from 1976-2012; one folder containing legal, blueprints, Constitution and By-Laws; one folder of miscellaneous; and one set of annual reports from 1960-2014.
- 1861 - 2012
Biographical / Historical
Immanuel Lutheran Church was founded as a result of a couple in 1886 who wanted to be married by a German Lutheran pastor. The bride-to-be was visiting at her fiancé's home, and Pastor Bartling was at the door, looking for Lutherans in the area. He would come from Marin, North Dakota not only to perform this marriage, but to serve the Lutherans of this area. Pastor Bartling suggested that the group call their own pastor, so Pastor George Groh accepted their call in late 1889. The congregation was officially founded in 1890. The first building was constructed in 1908. The congregation joined the LCMS in 1914. Another congregation, Saint Luke existed from 1922-1944, when the members returned to Immanuel. Groundbreaking for a new church building took place on August 16, 1964 and the building was completed in 1965. The congregation disbanded on October 28, 2012.
1 Linear Feet (One 5" legal box; One Practical Church Record Book; Two bound record books)
Language of Materials
- Peg Robson
- Language of description
- Script of description