Skip to main content

Trinity Lutheran Church (Ogema, Minnesota) and Immanuel Lutheran Church (Callaway, Minnesota) Records

 Record Group
Identifier: Collection ID-0936

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of two original congregations, Trinity, Ogema, Minnesota, and Immanuel, Callaway, Minnesota. Detailed lists exist for the contents from each congregation.


  • Creation: 1915 - 2009

Biographical / Historical

In 1912, Rev. C. Raase of Detroit Lakes, MN came to make a survey of Lutherans in Ogema. That summer, Rev. A. W. Hinz was installed as a missionary to the Callaway-Ogema-Mahnomen area. Pastor Hinz stayed about two years, establishing a good foundation for a Lutheran congregation in each of the three communities. Under the next pastor, Rev. E. A. Schuett, an organized congregation began to take form at Ogema. In February, 1915, Trinity was formed. On December 9, 1917, the first service was held at the new church building, though dedication did not take place until June 9, 1918. During the summer of 1919, a parsonage was purchased. In 1919, Immanuel congregation in rural Callaway was formed as a sister congregation to Trinity, Ogema. A church building was completed in the winter of 1919, and dedication was held in spring 1920. For many years, the congregation in Ogema called the pastor who also served in Callaway. In 1933, the church building was dismantled and moved into Callaway. In 1942, the congregation called its own pastor for the first and only time: Rev. O. C. Poellot. He served until 1956. In 1948, Pastor Poellot and the Immanuel members decided to enlarge the building and basement. Rev. Misner was called in 1956, and at this time, Immanuel and Trinity joined together as equal congregations in a parish. In 2002, the two congregations began discussing the possibility of coming together. Ground was broken for a new church building in July 2009. By early 2010, both church buildings, Trinity Ogema and Immanuel, Callaway, were sold, and the two congregations were consolidated under the new name of Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church. A new constitution and by-laws were created for Beautiful Savior in May 2010. The first worship service in the new building at Beautiful Savior took place on 9/26/2010.


.63 Linear Feet (One 5" letter box; one 2" letter box)

2 Church Record Book(s)

Language of Materials



Physical Location

Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Concordia Historical Institute Repository

804 Seminary Place
Saint Louis MO 63105 USA